Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Update on Harrison Harps

Not quite, Scott. The article leaves out a huge part of the story: that he
DID fulfill the bulk of the orders - at least 1,500+ by my count (one of my
two  is numbered in the mid-1500 range which makes it logical that at least
1,500  others were produced and sold).

Further, it's been documented by others that he began the company
originally by using his entire life savings AND borrowed a ton of other money  and
with grants from the City of Chicago and State of Illinois (if I remember it
all correctly) for this innovative idea. He took all of the money he could
manage to scrounge together to create this start-up company. It ended with
him  flat broke. Anyone who remotely feels he 'got rich' from this is
entirely  wrong.

Those of us who pre-ordered (putting $35 down apiece) were given t-shirts
and a small amount off the total price. The money from the deposits was
also to help pay for the 'start-up'. Harrison had to hire people and train them
 individually to build the harmonicas the way HE wanted them built: and he
demanded perfection for the B-Radical.

Most of us getting in at the beginning knew full well that what we were
doing was investing in the 'dream' as well as this innovative new harmonica
with  reeds never before seen. The handful of people who didn't seem to get it
were  the ones who expected their delivery 'yesterday' and who began
hounding Harrison  and his employees with phone calls and emails demanding
immediate responses and  satisfaction. Nothing Harrison did was good enough. As
fast as they worked, it  wasn't fast enough to please those few people....then
when problems arose with  the suppliers sending the wrong size screws,
delays in delivery, etc. it became  a bigger issue with falling behind. No money
coming in from sold harps  equals no way to pay staff, or to pay rent --a
boomerang effect.

I personally know at least 2 very good people who worked their butts off
for this company --one of whom has written that Brad Harrison was 'the best
boss  I ever had, and the best company I ever worked for'. This person is so
meone  I KNOW for a fact is straight-up and straight arrow. That's more than
good enough for me. He was there.

I got my own two B-Radicals a few months apart - a C and a Bb (because
they built the C's first and the Bb's later), each with my name engraved
exactly  as I requested. I hadn't harangued or inundated them with emails
demanding they  cater to me anymore than I would do so to the top-drawer customizer
who has  had an order from me for two of his own harps for over a year now.
When I get  them, I'll get them and be thrilled and happy I did because I
consider his work  an art form. Putting pressure on him doesn't get them to me
any faster and  simply adds extra stress he doesn't need to his life--so
why would I (or anyone)  want to do that?

Frankly I don't care how much money one has or how much one can afford to
spend on an instrument: respect is the name of the game. Treat people with
respect --and one will (usually) get it back. Brad Harrison was being
massively  harassed by people who failed to recognize how difficult it was making
the  special harps he'd designed and poured his life into--and who treated
him with  zero respect. What did they expect to happen? He could either spend
all of his  time on the phone or on the computer answering their
emails/catering to their  egos, or spend his time physically making their harmonicas.
Did they seriously  expect him to hire a separate person --or forego sleep
to hold their hands?  Where would the extra monies that would entail come
from?

IF it's true that there were 100 'disgruntled' customers at the end out of
1,500+ (my number could be extremely conservative--I don't know how many
were  sent out after I got mine) then I don't personally think that's so
terrible. Some blog posts and articles make it seem he never filled  orders. I'm
here to say that's bull. He still succeeded in making reeds no one  else
has come close to developing--and the instrument he created is  spectacular.
I have my Bb sitting here right now and  am practicing getting OB's with it.
Sweeeet.

Vern: the B-Rad doesn't have plastic covers--they're a  black/graphite
looking metal but are edged along the back with that same  material Chris
Michalek made my Buddha harp combs from: Dymondwood, but in black  as is the B-Rad
comb. The tines are all beautifully rounded and  precision made. Even after
the covers are unscrewed they won't come off  without utilizing the special
'clip'. It's a truly gorgeous  instrument--quite the work of art. I've
never seen (or played, OOTB) another  diatonic to equal it.

Elizabeth

"Message: 11
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:30:23 -0700
From: Scott Harris  <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Vern <jevern@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx"  <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

This thread comes up quite a bit and I'm always  interested in people's
views. Bottom line is that he took people's money, did  not deliver the
promised product and then ran and hid. He may or may not feel  bad (won't know
until he comes out of hiding), but that doesn't change what he  did, or frankly
make it any better. It was wrong when he took the money, wrong  when he ran
away and remains wrong now.

Scott  Harris"